Monday, January 24, 2011

Don Draper of the New Millennium

That's the picture I had in my head. When I officially declared marketing as my major, this is what I imagined my ultimate success would be like. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, Mr. Draper is a brilliant and successful ad agency executive from the TV show Mad Men.

This guy. Yeah, he's as awesome as he looks.

Well, I feel as of today, I no longer have to look to a  fictional man to see exactly where I want to go in my career. Instead, I have become inspired by another man: Erik Ekholm. He is the founder and CEO of the advertising firm Skapa. Thanks to Professor Shields, we were lucky enough to be able to pay their office a visit. From the moment I walked through the door, I was nothing but impressed.




Don't act like you're not impressed

 From the vibe of the office, the demeanor of the employees, the hospitality and the poise, to the AWESOME presentation and thoroughly impressive organizational structure, I knew that this was the endgame. This is where I wanted my career to go. This fact was established even more concretely following a post-presentation conversation with Eirk. He imparted on me some of parting words of wisdom for my future career - much appreciated and definitely taken to heart.

The other highlight of my day was my evening out - The Nefertiti Jazz Club


This place was incredible. We saw two bands, the most impressive of which was the Ocean Brass Band (pictured above). Each and every member was so talented, I really was blown away. Matt, Lauren and Max and I all enjoyed it so much. This was definitely one of my favorite things throughout the entire trip.

Jazz and Martinis. Talk about a classy night.


1 comment:

  1. Alex, Thanks for your nice description of your visit to Skapa. I really enjoyed the connection you made to Don Draper - You made my day! Thanks.
    /Erik

    ReplyDelete